How to optimize a resume for applicant tracking software and tailor it to specific roles
You may have heard about the importance of optimizing your resume for applicant tracking systems (ATS), but how exactly do you go about doing so?
Needless to say, keyword optimization is important to pay attention to - especially if you are applying for jobs at large companies.
One of the easiest ways to optimize your resume is to read through the job description, identify relevant keywords, and naturally incorporate them into your document.
Let's look at a practical example to help you understand what we mean.
Below, we'll analyze two documents:
- A job description for a hotel development posting
- A sample resume tailored to that posting
Step 1: We started by highlighting the most important elements of the role that would be important to include on the resume.
Step 2: We incorporated keywords related to those we identified on the job description.
In doing so, we made sure to:
- Incorporate a few keywords that were exact matches in a natural manner to avoid the perception of keyword stuffing
- Incorporate similar concepts that weren't stated on the job description verbatim
- Avoid directly copy and pasting long phrases from the job description
- Avoid discussing any experience that the candidate didn't actually have just for the sake of "optimizing" the resume
While you want to clearly convey that you have the relevant skills and effectively optimize your resume for applicant tracking systems, your resume still needs to read naturally and be truthful!
At one point or another, a human will read it, and "keyword stuffing" is rather obvious to detect.
If you need help optimizing your resume for applicant tracking systems, our expert resume writers can help! Submit your email address below for more information.
We're also happy to look at your existing resume and provide feedback on how we can help if needed. Simply submit it here!