Real Estate Executive Resume Sample & Expert Tips for Improving Your Real Estate Resume
Leverage this achievement-based Global Head of Real Estate resume example to learn what recruiters expect to see in a resume.
You'll then be able to improve your resume following our tips - whether you are a real estate executive, investor, developer / development manager, residential real estate agent, commercial real estate broker, or entry-level real estate analyst.
View additional examples of effective executive resumes and learn about our recruiter-approved approach to resume writing here.
At the executive level, recruiters expect to see a high-impact resume that is not only well-formatted and easy to skim but also clearly demonstrates the results that you were able to deliver.
Below, we outline each section of the sample resume and provide tips that you can leverage to improve your own.
DO use bullet points and specific examples to outline your career trajectory and key achievements.
DO NOT use vague or overexaggerated language such as: seasoned, results-driven real estate executive | outstanding team player | proactive and self-motivated leader | dependable advisor to executive team.
• Brings 20+ years of experience in corporate real estate with Wells Fargo, HSBC, EY, and UBS
• Oversees Wells Fargo’s global real estate portfolio; developed and executed new office space allocation strategy, saving $52 million while improving capacity and team engagement scores
• Consolidated HSBC’s APAC offices from six locations to one via $1.2 billion acquisition
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
DO highlight industry-specific areas of expertise and hard skills that your target roles require (based on the job description).
DO NOT outline soft skills such as communication, adaptability, multitasking, and problem solving, which recruiters expect any competent executive to possess.
• Corporate Real Estate Strategy
• Design & Construction
• Project Management
• Property Acquisitions
• Portfolio & Risk Management
• Retail Strategy and Delivery
DO separate your day-to-day responsibilities (paragraph format) from your accomplishments (bullet points) and tailor your content to your target roles.
DO NOT provide a laundry list of everything you were "responsible for" in your position, which does little to differentiate you from similar applicants.
Wells Fargo | San Francisco, California
Global Head of Real Estate, Design & Construction | 2017 – Present
Oversaw global real estate portfolio for Wells Fargo, including 7,200+ retail branches, corporate offices in 31 countries, and data centers, reporting to CEO and CIO. Managed strategy development, site selection, budgeting, construction, and risk management on over 300 developments across the corporate portfolio, valued at over $1 billion. Created long-term CAPEX forecasts, managed RFP processes, and prepared board reporting.
• Increased EBITDA by developing and executing real estate optimization strategy that consolidated number of retail branches by 23%; reallocated funding for investment into new retail business model
• Developed concept designs and project managed rollout of new customer-friendly bank branch model in five key markets nationwide, improving customer engagement scores by 12%
• Implemented global governance framework to streamline operations, resulting in measurable cost savings, improved on-time performance, and stricter capital project controls
• Conducted internal research to analyze existing office space utilization and devised strategy that saved $52+ million in annual real estate expenditures while increasing office capacity by 25,000+ seats
Hamilton Partners | Chicago, Illinois
Managing Director | 2013 – 2016
Served on executive management team for long-term real estate investment firm specializing in commercial development. Spearheaded occupier-led, built-to-suit real estate development transactions spanning office, industrial, and retail segments across the Chicagoland area. Structured effective deals and ensured design and fit-outs that aligned with company strategy. Prepared investor reporting on a quarterly and annual basis.
• Negotiated and secured build-to-suit development deal for ten-story, 260,000 square foot facility for major insurance company headquarters in Buffalo Grove, IL
• Acquired occupant for six-story, 185,000 square foot speculative construction project; liaised with tenant to adapt development plans to meet specific requirements and accommodate increased occupancy
• Led end-to-end development and deal structuring for Itasca-based, 100K square foot corporate headquarters for major media and entertainment client
HSBC | Hong Kong, China
Head of Corporate Real Estate – Asia-Pacific | 2009 – 2012
Managed HSBC’s Asia-Pacific corporate real estate portfolio (10 million square feet, $750 million). Developed strategic initiatives to consolidate office portfolio and prepared five-year capital project plans. Lead project analysis, planning, and execution, working alongside senior leadership.
• Saved over $46 million annually by optimizing operational costs and capital expenditures
• Completed $1.2 billion acquisition of new office building, consolidating office portfolio from six regional offices to one central location; led negotiations with developers and secured lending
• Doubled department productivity and moved outsourced work in-house, saving 15% on overall labor costs; aligned operating structure of Hong Kong office with global HSBC standards
• Led planning and development of regional offices in Taiwan and the Maldives, completing both projects 10 weeks ahead of schedule and 8% below budgeted targets
DO condense the amount of information you provide for positions held early in your career or that are no longer relevant to what you do.
DO NOT describe every single role in extensive detail, as recruiters are most interested in what you have accomplished in the last 10 years.
Ernst & Young | Hong Kong, China
Real Estate Advisor Leader – TAS Greater China | 2005 – 2008
Advised real estate funds and property developers including Sun Hung Kai Properties and Wheelock Properties on developing portfolio strategies for the Hong Kong market. Hired, trained, and led team of six consultants.
• Managed team in preparing detailed financial modeling and assessing impact of potential transactions on client overall portfolio; leveraged analyses to increase ROI for clients by average of 9%
• Supported ten key clients on global site selection, facilities management, and portfolio optimization
• Devised and implemented internal process efficiencies via Excel-based models and new project management system, enhancing team profitability by 22% and reducing delivery times for clients
First Republic Bank | San Francisco, California
Managing Director – North America Corporate Real Estate | 2002 – 2004
Managed portfolio of 80+ retail bank branches as well as corporate offices in San Francisco and New York City. Directed real estate strategy, planning, facilities management, and health and safety.
• Saved over $38 million by consolidating portfolio and renegotiating rent agreements for existing locations
• Built business cases and financial projections for real estate projects and CAPEX improvements; presented to executive leadership for approval; negotiated contracts with external vendors
• Negotiated lease terms with landlords; resolved title, zoning, and easement issues with city representatives
Northwestern Mutual | Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Director of Corporate Real Estate – North America | 1998 – 2002
Directed North American real estate portfolio, serving on leadership team for launch of Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company (NMWMC), a wholly-owned subsidiary. Guided overall real estate strategy during fast-growth phase for company.
• Expanded real estate portfolio from 300,000 square feet to over 1 million square feet over tenure
• Developed business cases to optimize real estate portfolio, improving NPV
DO consider including an Early Career section to demonstrate your career progression, but also consider leaving off entry-level or irrelevant positions altogether.
DO NOT list positions that do not build upon your overall story or that may detract from your credibility (such as internships you held in college or administrative roles).
Magellan Development | Chicago, Illinois
Brookfield Property Partners | New York, New York
Ernst & Young | New York, New York
Senior Manager – Transaction Advisory Services
DO list board memberships, volunteer experiences, and community involvement to demonstrate your engagement outside of work.
DO NOT go into significant detail on your board memberships unless you are specifically preparing a board/NED resume.
DO list certifications and professional development that are well-respected in your industry and that are relevant to your target roles, as applicable.
DO NOT provide an exhaustive list of all trainings you have attended through your workplace, for example, as such as approach can detract from this section's overall impact.
DO include all university degrees and list widely-recognized academic achievements such as Latin honors.
DO NOT list your high school (unless you are a recent college graduate) or online courses (such as HBS Online or eCornell) that are best placed in a "professional development" section here.
University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School
Bachelor of Science in Economics
About Resume Pilots
Resume Pilots is an award-winning executive resume writing firm and a proud member of the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches. Our previous clients include CEOs and senior executives at the world's leading companies.
As a professional services firm, we take your reputation seriously. We are committed to delivering writing excellence and superior service while operating with integrity and discretion. Recruitment firms we partner with also trust us to consistently deliver quality documents for their clients.
Our writers have studied in the Ivy League and other top-tier universities and have strong writing backgrounds coupled with industry experience.
Here's how we can help you:
Resume, Cover Letter, and LinkedIn Writing Services: If you are looking for end-to-end support, hire one of our professional resume writers to rewrite your documents from the ground up.
Executive Resume Template Downloads: If you plan to prepare your own resume, consider using one of our classic, ATS-friendly resume templates for Microsoft Word.