Chief Marketing Officer Resume Sample & Expert Tips for Improving Your Marketing Resume
Leverage this achievement-based Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) resume example to learn what recruiters expect to see in an executive resume.
You'll then be able to improve your marketing resume following our tips - whether you are a marketing executive, digital marketing manager, or in an entry-level sales and marketing role.
View additional examples of effective executive resumes and learn about our recruiter-approved approach to resume writing here.
At the executive level, recruiters expect to see a high-impact resume that is not only well-formatted and easy to skim but also clearly demonstrates the results that you were able to deliver.
Below, we outline each section of the sample resume and provide tips that you can leverage to improve your own.
DO use bullet points and specific examples to outline your career trajectory and key achievements.
DO NOT use vague or overexaggerated language such as: seasoned, results-driven digital marketing executive | outstanding team player | proactive and self-motivated leader | dependable advisor to executive team.
• Brings 20 years of strategic sales and marketing experience spanning hospitality, real estate, events and entertainment, and fresh food delivery with STR Global, HelloFresh, WeWork, Live Nation, and Disney
• Transformed STR Global’s international marketing strategy, improving sales by over $8M annually
• Spearheaded marketing strategy for HelloFresh’s North American launch, attaining 650K customers in first year; devised and rolled out highly-converting PPC, influencer marketing, and B2B campaigns
• Led nationwide sales teams for WeWork and Live Nation, achieving measurable revenue growth
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
DO highlight industry-specific areas of expertise and hard skills that your target roles require (based on the job description).
DO NOT outline soft skills such as communication, adaptability, multitasking, and problem solving, which recruiters expect any competent executive to possess.
• Global Sales & Marketing Strategy
• Customer Segmentation
• Competitive Positioning
• Brand Management
• Strategic Marketing Communications
• Digital Marketing
• Process Optimization
• Cultural Change Management
DO separate your day-to-day responsibilities (paragraph format) from your accomplishments (bullet points) and tailor your content to your target roles.
DO NOT provide a laundry list of everything you were "responsible for" in your position, which does little to differentiate you from similar applicants.
STR Global | New York, NY
Chief Sales & Marketing Officer | January 2016 – Present
STR Global provides data intelligence solutions, benchmarking tools, and data analytics and real estate consulting services to companies in the commercial real estate, hotel, and tourism sectors. Drive business development by conducting comprehensive market review, defining competitive positioning and customer segmentation, and developing communications and pricing strategy. Implemented strategy shift and restructure after acquisition by CoStar Group, Inc. in 2019. Lead team of 11 global account managers and 32 business development representatives. Represent STR in media and at industry conferences and events.
• Restructured marketing team in America, EMEA, and APAC to better align with target client base, resulting in $8M increase in turnover and 21% improvement in customer retention in under two years
• Partnered with executive leadership and consulting division to launch real estate consulting offering; grew group’s first-year revenue to $3M via targeted cross-platform marketing strategy
• Optimized global pricing structure for STR Trend Reports, increasing existing client revenue by 20%
• Developed strategy and oversaw execution for marketing materials and pitchbook development, providing support to marketing teams throughout RFP process
• Led selection, configuration, and implementation of Salesforce CRM, improving lead generation process
• Conducted global customer insight survey and leveraged findings to localize marketing campaigns, successfully re-onboarding of 10% of former benchmarking software clients via custom packages
HelloFresh | New York, NY
Sales & Marketing Director – North America | June 2012 – December 2017
HelloFresh is the most popular meal kit in the world, with over 250M meals delivered in the US annually. Joined to spearhead sales and marketing initiatives in preparation for company’s launch into North American market in 2013. Built department from the ground up, leading competitive landscape analysis as well as sales strategy development and execution. Refreshed company branding, sales messaging, and promotional materials across multiple platforms to align with North American market.
• Designed strategies that grew HelloFresh customer base from zero to 650K over tenure in US market
• Launched targeted PPC campaigns on Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and Instagram Ads, resulting in 1.4% conversion rate and 70% customer retention rate (over six months)
• Identified and fostered strategic partnerships with influencers in the F&B and lifestyle segments, achieving 3.5% conversion rate during first three months; optimized corresponding discounting strategies
• Developed comprehensive training program for B2B sales teams and account managers, securing 12 multi-million-dollar corporate partnerships; advised on pricing structure and promotions
• Leveraged email marketing platforms to drive automation and social media integration
DO condense the amount of information you provide for positions held early in your career or that are no longer relevant to what you do.
DO NOT describe every single role in extensive detail, as recruiters are most interested in what you have accomplished in the last 10 years.
WeWork | New York, NY
Portfolio Sales & Marketing Director | January 2010 – May 2012
WeWork provides dedicated workspaces, monthly access subscriptions, and on-demand bookings in 40 cities nationwide. Managed deal portfolio to lead company expansion across US territory, overseeing a team of 6-10 account managers in each city. Devised portfolio-wide strategies to secure new deals and drive initial pipeline development.
• Built relationships with over 50 real estate brokers in target markets, directly generating contracts that increased revenue by over 10% across the portfolio
• Structured $5M-$10 deals that aligned with client objectives, increasing building occupancy
• Collaborated with Territory Directors to develop customer segmentation strategy and market-specific marketing materials, contributing to 12% attributable increase in topline revenue via promo codes
• Implemented weekly pipeline reviews meetings to identify key opportunities and follow-up strategies
• Rolled out strategy that centralized marketing functions, reducing costs and increasing team efficiency
Live Nation Entertainment | Los Angeles, California
Regional Director of Sales | March 2006 – December 2009
Live Nation Entertainment’s portfolio is comprised of Ticketmaster, Live Nation Concerts, and Live Nation Media & Sponsorship. Led team of 12 Directors of Sales and 40+ Sales Coordinators in managing season ticket, group booking, hospitality event, and custom package sales at Live Nation venues nationwide. Spearhead strategy development and execution to achieve seat sales improvements and maximize revenue across booking streams.
• Developed strategic monthly sales plans based on market segments with Directors of Sales
• Exceeded forecasted projections by average of 15% throughout tenure via successful contract negotiations
• Executed Six Sigma review of deals development process based on customer research, resulting in 22% increase in customer satisfaction metrics in corporate, tour operator, and convention segments
• Managed national marketing communications budget of $10M, consistently meeting spending targets
• Launched annual regional training events attended by venue leadership to teach strategies that improved member full-season ticket renewal rates by 18% as well as new business generation tactics
• Automated proposal and contract generation processes, reducing time spent on materials preparation by 50%; reallocated time to building relationships and closing contracts with ten clients ($14M 2008 revenue)
DO consider including an Early Career section to demonstrate your career progression, but also consider leaving off entry-level or irrelevant positions altogether.
DO NOT list positions that do not build upon your overall story or that may detract from your credibility (such as internships you held in college or administrative roles).
The Walt Disney Company | Manchester
Director, Group Sales and Pricing Strategy | 2004 – 2006
Booking.com | San Francisco, California
Regional Market Manager | 2002 – 2004
Expedia | San Francisco, California
Market Manager | 2000 – 2002
DO list board memberships, volunteer experiences, and community involvement to demonstrate your engagement outside of work.
DO NOT go into significant detail on your board memberships unless you are specifically preparing a board/NED resume.
Board Member - American Marketing Association (AMA)
Board Member – Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI)
President – Notre Dame Club of New York City
Vice President – Cornell Hotel Society, New York Chapter (CHS)
DO list certifications and professional development that are well-respected in your industry and that are relevant to your target roles, if applicable.
DO NOT provide an exhaustive list of all trainings you have attended through your workplace, for example, as such as approach can detract from this section's overall impact.
DO include all university degrees and list widely-recognized academic achievements such as Latin honors.
DO NOT list your high school (unless you are a recent college graduate) or online courses (such as HBS Online or eCornell) that are best placed in a "professional development" section here.
Cornell University | Ithaca, New York
Master of Management in Hospitality (MMH)
University of Notre Dame – Mendoza College of Business | South Bend, Indiana
Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
About Resume Pilots
Resume Pilots is an award-winning executive resume writing firm and a proud member of the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches. Our previous clients include CEOs and senior executives at the world's leading companies.
As a professional services firm, we take your reputation seriously. We are committed to delivering writing excellence and superior service while operating with integrity and discretion. Recruitment firms we partner with also trust us to consistently deliver quality documents for their clients.
Our writers have studied in the Ivy League and other top-tier universities and have strong writing backgrounds coupled with industry experience.
Here's how we can help you:
Resume, Cover Letter, and LinkedIn Writing Services: If you are looking for end-to-end support, hire one of our professional resume writers to rewrite your documents from the ground up.
Executive Resume Template Downloads: If you plan to prepare your own resume, consider using one of our classic, ATS-friendly resume templates for Microsoft Word.